Automobiles flood the streets of Dover
By the 1930s the horse and buggy had been replaced by the horseless carriage. As the gasoline engine was developed and the use of the auto seemed practical, larger vehicles such as trucks were used to transport crops to as far away as Cleveland.
Even though the first automobiles appeared in Dover around 1909, many families owned automobiles by the late 1920s and early 1930s. After Frank Sauer furnished Dover's first mechanical service and gasoline station, many others followed selling new vehicles, gasoline and service.
Roads were constructed with increasing frequency during this time period. The late twenties had seen the building of Canterbury, Rose and Walter roads, as well as the start of Hilliard Boulevard. Center Ridge Road’s bricks were re-paved with concrete in 1930.