Village Foundation announces fundraising drive
A letter has been sent to every family in Bay Village asking each household to make a donation this year, no matter how small, to demonstrate support for the many projects being planned for the village. As we mourn the loss of our founder, T. Richard (Dick) Martin, we have a renewed energy to build the foundation into an endowment that matches and exceeds Dick’s dreams for The Village Foundation.
Interest earned on the money contributed is spent wholly in Bay Village for private, not-for-profit projects. The Village Foundation was founded in late 1995. It was originally known as the Play in Bay Fund; later named The Village Foundation, the fund was officially designated as a 501(c)(3) tax exempt corporation in 1996. A charter group formed the Board of Trustees in 1997, and in 2011 will have successfully completed 14 years in operation. For a list of charter members or other information about us, please see the website at: www.thevillagefdn.org.
We know that donors like to know where their money is being spent. Following is a list of the projects that have been supported by the contributions to the Village Foundation Endowment in 2011.
- Bay Interfaith Housing: The Knickerbocker Apartments – improved lighting and new lunch room tables;
- BAYarts Historical Garden – added perennials and landscaping to the BAYarts grounds and the Welcome Garden at the historic Fuller House;
- The Village Food Project: Meals for Cancer-Stricken Families – purchased equipment for cooking and delivery of food;
- Lake Erie Nature and Science Center – developed programs specifically for Bay Village residents;
- Bi-Annual Community Clean-Up – supported two waterway clean-up days to ensure the beauty and environmental health of our streams and shores
- Community Recognition – planned bronze memorial plaques at Cahoon Park to recognize Thomas Jelepis, former mayor, and Frank and Sandy Sullivan for their contributions to Bay Village projects; and awarded college scholarships of $4,000 to Bay High School seniors.
President of The Village Foundation.