Bay High Athletic HOF induction weekend Sept. 5-6
The 5th Bi-Annual Bay High Athletic Hall of Fame Induction Weekend will take place on Friday, Sept. 5, and Saturday, Sept. 6. The hall of fame event honors past Rocket athletes, coaches, teams and contributors who made their legacy while at Bay High School.
Friday night there will be a brief ceremony introducing the new class of inductees to the community during the Bay-Westlake football game. After the game there is an informal get together at the Bay Lodge on Bradley Road, lasting until midnight. Food and beverages will be served and everyone is welcome to attend – inductees, family, friends and interested members of the community.
Saturday, the formal induction dinner/ceremony will take place at Wagner's of Westlake located at 30855 Center Ridge Road in Westlake. Cocktails are at 6 p.m. with dinner at 7 p.m. and inductions to begin at approximately 7:45 p.m. Cost for the event is $60/adult and $30/children 12 and under. Checks should be made out to: Bay High Athletic Hall of Fame and sent to Keri Altieri at Bay High School, 29650 Wolf Road, Bay Village, Ohio 44140. Reservations are required and can be made by calling Keri at 440-617-7406 or emailing her at: Keri.Altieri@bayschoolsohio.org.
This year's inductees are:
- The 1940-41 boys basketball team who won the West County Conference title and were the only undefeated team in Cuyahoga County that season. They finished the season with a record of 16-1 and were district runner-ups and the team was coached by John Shollenberger.
- The 1971-72 wrestling team who won the first (of 11) state championships in Bay High school history. The team was coached by Joe Scaletta and included state champions Jeff Schoeneman and Mark Totten.
- Denny White (class of 1960) who earned 10 varsity letters at Bay and played in the East-West All-Star Football Game in 1960.
- Jack Rekstis (class of 1963) who was All-SWC in football and track and held the school record in the 220- and 440-yard races for many years.
- Wayne Gray, BHS head track and assistant football coach from 1968-1979, who coached the Rockets to 9 consecutive SWC track championships, 9 consecutive sectional championships and 2 SWC football titles.
- Bob Pressler (class of 1973) who was Bay's first All-American soccer player and who also ran on the mile relay team that placed at the state track meet in 1973.
- John "Hody" Peters (class of 1973) who is Bay's only 2-time SWC MVP in basketball and still holds the school record for points scored in a single game and for the long jump in track.
- Dave Rode (class of 1982) who is one of only 2 BHS athletes to be First Team All-SWC in football, basketball and baseball and who was the school's all-time career scoring leader in basketball (with 972 points) when he graduated.
- Cynthia Winslow (class of 1993) who was First Team All-Ohio and First Team All-Midwest in girls soccer.
- Thomas Brasted (class of 1994) who was a 5-time state champion in track (individual and relay) and was 2-time All-Ohio in cross country.
- Elise Falatach (class of 2004) who was First Team All-Ohio and All-American in girls soccer.
BHS Athletic Hall of Fame Chairman