Westlake SADD chapter second in nation
Westlake High School’s Students Against Destructive Decisions (SADD) chapter earned the second-place SADD National Chapter of the Year award.
The award recognizes the group’s efforts to empower young people and change the community. The WHS chapter will be recognized in October at the Ohio SADD conference.
The WHS SADD chapter sponsors a variety of events and activities throughout the school year, including:
- Birthday locker signs
- Participation in the eighth grade student/parent night
- Participation in the annual high school club fair
- Attendance at Drug-Free Young Leaders Lock-in for area high schools
- Boo at the Zoo participation
- Planning and execution of the regional SADD seminar at Quicken Loans Arena
- Prom assembly presentation
- Pharming Effects presentation on prescription drug abuse
- Generation Rx program on preventing the misuse of prescription drugs
- Participation in National Drug Facts Week and Red Ribbon Week
- Attendance at the first “We Are the Majority” youth rally in Cleveland
- Mock Car Crash
- Delivery of Safe Prom balloons to all seniors
- Click It or Ticket event
- Halloween Fun Night
SADD highlights prevention of many destructive behaviors and attitude that are harmful to young people, including underage drinking, substance abuse, risky and impaired driving, and teen violence and suicide. The Westlake High SADD chapter is advised by WHS Prevention Coordinator Kathy McGinty.