LBMS class supports Guiding Eyes for the Blind
Lee Burneson Middle School intervention specialist Erin Blahnik and her special needs students recently presented a check for $1,000 to Guiding Eyes for the Blind to cover expenses of training guide dogs.
The students – Natalie Menta, Kevin Spieth, Jacob Blood and Mikey George – raised funds earlier this year through the sale of dog biscuits to the community. Guiding Eyes will use the $1,000 to cover the following expenses:
- A guide dog’s annual vaccinations
- Mobility training in urban areas
- Meals for one month for one guide dog
- Home-cooked meals and housing for a blind student in training
- Costs toward raising a puppy in the foster family program
- Special home training when needed
Former DARE Officer Ken Delfing and his wife, Kim, brought Velita for the ceremony, and Leslie Stephens brought Freya. Both puppies are undergoing basic home training in their foster homes before entering the official Guiding Eyes training program.