Record crowd attends COFA awards celebration
Westlake Porter Public Library’s Porter Room overflowed with an appreciative audience for the meet-the-artists reception and awards ceremony that climaxed the Westlake-Westshore Arts Council’s 17th annual Community of Fine Arts Show. The Aug. 27 event combined lively socializing and the presentation of prizes with tempting desserts and a musical background.
The 2016 COFA, a juried art show, displayed 110 original, one-of-a-kind art works, submitted by 61 artists. Cash awards were presented to first and second place winners, judged in four categories: Oil/Acrylic; Watercolor; Ink, Charcoal, Pastel Drawings, Etchings, Wood Block Prints; and Photography.
Jean Driggs, WWAC president, introduced the awards program, welcomed the attendees, and expressed appreciation to the artists, judges and show’s sponsors, noting the generosity of Elaine Engeln, a longtime sponsor of the COFA. Driggs then called up Patt Long for recognition of her dedicated service as WWAC president for the past four years.
Robert Pearl, who co-chaired the COFA with Howard Hoehn, made the presentation of the cash prizes and certificates. The presentation was accompanied by a photo slide show of the 110 art works, which was compiled by Robert Parry.
Judges for this year’s show were Stuart Pearl, Victoria Wagner and Cathy Welner. COFA committee members noted that these three highly accredited judges, all residents of eastern Cleveland suburbs, were highly impressed by the quantity and quality of the art work in this area.
Piano music was adeptly performed by four students of Ashley Baker, owner and teacher of Rhapsody Music Studio in Westlake.
2016 Community of Fine Arts Winners
- Watercolor, Semi Professional – First place: Claire Palmisano; Second place: Robert Parry; Honorable Mention: Nancy Notaranni.
- Watercolor, Professional – First: Pat Sigmier; Second: Robert Moyer; HM: Bernadette Dettorre.
- Drawing/Pen & Ink, Semi Professional – First: Sean Crum; Second: Jackie Hixon; HM: Sean Crum.
- Drawing/Pen & Ink, Professional – First: Kathryn Sowecke; Second: Marilyn Sherako; HM: Gail Felix.
- Charcoal/Pastel, Semi Professional – First: Ellen Erzen; Second: Jeri Kluiber; HM: Susan Averre.
- Charcoal/Pastel, Professional – First: Phyllis J. Barrett; Second: Gail Crum; HM: Jackie Hixon.
- Oil/Acrylic, Semi Professional – First: Phyllis Barrett; Second: Robert Pearl; HM: Mary Broberg.
- Oil/Acrylic, Professional – First: Dani Altieri; Second: Inky Lorain; HM: Vicki Thompson.
- Photography, Semi Professional – First: Neil Doren; Second: Kelly Berkheimer; HM: Neil Doren.
- Photography, Professional – First: Robert Parry; Second: Mary Ann Popovich; HM: Vincent O’Keefe.
Publicist for Westlake-Westshore Arts Council