The history of Detroit Road, Part IV: Straightening the curve
(click photo to enlarge)
The old Detroit Road bridge over Cahoon Creek, just east of Cahoon Road as seen from the Detroit Road sidewalk. Photo by Will Krause
The old Detroit Road bridge over Cahoon Creek, just east of Cahoon Road, looking south. Photo by Will Krause
The brick surface of the old Detroit Road bridge can be seen in the exit drive for Cahoon Nursery. The bridge was abandoned when the road was rerouted to eliminate a curve. Photo by Will Krause
A map from the 1927 Hopkins Plat Book shows the old alignment of Detroit Road before it was straightened.
Mr. and Mrs. James May in early Dover automobile in front of their home which until recently stood at the northeast corner of Canterbury and Detroit roads. Notice the roadway is neither planked nor bricked so it probably dates from 1905 to 1908. Courtesy of Porter Library collection.