Cuyahoga County Archives moves to new location
Did you know that the Cuyahoga County Archives have moved from the Robert Russell Rhodes House, a Victorian Italianate mansion on Franklin Avenue in the Ohio City neighborhood, to the old Halle Brothers warehouse at 3951 Perkins Avenue, near East 40th Street? During this transition period, the public has not been able to visit either facility. Hopefully, that will change by the fall of this year.
Looking back in time, it is hard to believe that the Cuyahoga County Archives were not established until the summer of 1975. Prior to that date, records were kept in several county buildings, under various conditions. Some very valuable records, dating as early as 1810, were inadvertently destroyed. With the opening of the Archives at the Russell Rhodes House, the public had wider access and documents were better maintained.
Since then, some of the records, such as births and deaths [1849-1908] and marriages [1810-1941], have been microfilmed and can be viewed online at www.familysearch.org or www.fold3.com. But many other documents remain hidden away in archival storage, awaiting retrieval. These records often contain information of value to the family historian or researcher.
To learn more about these holdings and what to expect when the Archives reopen, the public is invited to attend the Wednesday, May 16, meeting of the Cuyahoga West Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society. Cuyahoga County archivist Judith G. Cetina, Ph.D. will present “Cuyahoga County Archives Holdings at the New Location.” Program begins at 7:00 p.m., in the Porter Room of Westlake Porter Public Library, 27333 Center Ridge Road. Social time is from 6:30-7:00 p.m. For additional information, visit www.cwcogs.org or email email@example.com.
Publicity Chair for the Cuyahoga West Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society that meets at Westlake Porter Public Library.