In Roman Park on Ranney Parkway in Westlake, visitors enjoy a playground, concessions and three baseball fields. Originally called Ranney Park, it was renamed in 1998 in honor of the late Alexander R. Roman, former mayor of Westlake.
Alexander Roman had a long career serving Westlake and Cuyahoga County. He became a member of the Civil Service Commission in 1958, went on to serve as a secretary and chairman, and was elected mayor of Westlake in 1965. He was also a member of the Northeast Ohio Areawide Coordinating Agency (NOACA). In July 1980, he resigned from his position as mayor to become a judge of the Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Court.