Dover Gardens Tavern has had many lives and now has a new face. The owners recently re-faced the exterior of the landmark at 27402 Detroit Road with new siding.
About five years ago it was questionable if the business and the building would survive after an out of control pick-up truck smashed into the building during a police chase, seriously injuring 13 people. The old timbers held and now the building looks refreshed and ready for many more years of good times for patrons.
The existing building dates to at least 1874 when a hotel and grocery building with a similar footprint is shown in the same location on 66 acres straddling Detroit Road, owned by C. Brenner. The same building is shown on a 1927 plat book with two outbuildings on an 8.78 acre parcel owned by Anton and J. Michelich. Tax records indicate jumps of value in both 1871 and 1881 though the county lists the year built as 1890.