Local History

Holiday happenings at the Clague House Museum

Santa Paws will return to the Clague Museum on Saturday, Dec. 19! Santa is excited to visit with his well-behaved pet friends and is available for photos from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. The requested donation is $10; please make a reservation for your pet in advance by calling 216-848-0680.

The museum will host an Elf Overnight on Friday, Dec. 18. Check-in for the elves is from 6-8 p.m. While there, you and your elf can decorate holiday cookies. You can also decorate a personalized ornament and hang it on the tree. Enjoy a traditional reading of "'Twas The Night Before Christmas" by the tree. Your elf will spend the night at the museum. The next morning, you can pick up your elf at 9 a.m.

Read Full Story
Volume 7, Issue 24, Posted 9:44 AM, 12.15.2015

Trip to Canadian 'sister city' honors famed Westlake native

In 2012, Kingsville, Ontario, became a Sister City with Westlake through the common legacy of one John Thomas Miner, better known as Jack Miner. Born in 1865 near the present-day intersection of Dover Center Road and Westown Blvd., Jack moved with his family to Kingsville when he was 13. His early roots instilled in him a love of nature and wildlife and he studied migratory birds until his death in 1944, becoming known as the Father of Conservation. The August premiere of “An Evening with Jack Miner” at the Clague Playhouse generated an invitation for me to reprise the role at Jack’s migratory bird sanctuary in Kingsville.

On Oct. 16, with passport in hand, I crossed the border to not only attend but participate in the 46th Annual Migration Festival. This year’s festival was a little different as its theme included the 150th birthday of Jack. The festival celebrates Kingsville’s place in history as the home of the man who changed the migration routes of the fowls of the air. I arrived Friday afternoon in time to attend the festival’s opening ceremonies with a wine and cheese reception that was held in Kingsville’s Carnegie Visitors Center. Jack himself (or a very convincing American re-enactor) made an appearance and read from his autobiography, "Wild Goose Jack," setting a celebratory tone for the remainder of the weekend.

Read Full Story
Volume 7, Issue 22, Posted 9:21 AM, 11.17.2015

Who were the Westons of Westlake? As family name fades away, donation keeps legacy alive

Part five of a five-part series.

In part 3 and part 4 of this series, we introduced you to the oldest two sons of George and Rhoda Weston, Asa L. and Arthur E. Weston. In this article we will introduce you to their youngest son, Frank, who received the southern portion of their 100-acre farm on Columbia Road in the late 1800s. George, Rhoda and their sons had earlier occupied, and Frank was born in, the currently city owned Lilly-Weston house at 27946 Center Ridge Road, next to the Westlake Recreation Center.

Based on a 1920s plat book it appears that Frank built a home, most likely at 2535 Columbia Road. While it no longer stands, in the 1930s it appears to have been split into two units, with the lower unit occupied by his grown son Wells Weston and his family in 1940, as per the U.S. Census that year. The same 1940 Census shows that the Weston name was still strong on Columbia Road with May E. Weston, her brother George I. Weston and his wife, Mida, and three adult children occupying 2283 Columbia (still standing), which was built by their father Asa L.; Burton Weston and his wife occupying 2363 Columbia (still standing), which was built by his father Arthur E.; Burton’s brother Charles M. Weston, his wife, Esther, and children (including Doris) occupying the house Charles built next door at 2391 Columbia (destroyed). It is no wonder that May, Charles and Doris loved and felt connected to Dover/Westlake – their neighbors and their family were one and the same!

Read Full Story
Volume 7, Issue 22, Posted 9:24 AM, 11.17.2015

A legacy of Hueys over Westlake

Thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, thump … That staccato and determined thumping seemed to go on and on until the helicopter producing it would fly overhead, after which the sound would all but disappear.

In the 1970s and early '80s that bit of drama would repeat itself rather regularly right over, or nearly so, my Westlake residence. The helicopter creating it at any given time would be one of six Bell UH-1H Iroquois models that called Cleveland Hopkins Airport home, heading back to its base of operation in the southwest sector of that aerodrome.

First ordered for the U.S. military in 1960, all model variants of the Bell UH-1 Iroquois are more commonly known as Hueys, most likely due to their original type designation being HU-1 (until 1962) and GIs informally assigning the aircraft its familiar nickname derived from that designation. The very pronounced thump, thump, thump sound as they approach is a characteristic trait of Huey helicopters in flight.

Read Full Story
Volume 7, Issue 21, Posted 10:17 AM, 11.03.2015

Westlake: The Origin of the Name

Most people know that the city of Westlake began as Dover township, founded as such in 1811 and possibly named for a then-known landmark, Dover Point, along the shores of Lake Erie. Dover was a popular name for communities back then – there were 17 of them according to the 1850 federal census, five of which were in Ohio.

Eventually, there were only two remaining in Ohio at the beginning of the 20th century – Dover Village (having been incorporated from the township in 1911) in Cuyahoga County, and Dover in Tuscawaras County. Even so, it created confusion for delivery purposes. Mail, and even a fire engine ordered for Dover Village, was sometimes delivered to the Dover in Tuscawaras County. As early as 1915, the United States Post Office requested that Dover Village change its name to differentiate it from the other Dover, Ohio.

Read Full Story
Volume 7, Issue 21, Posted 10:02 AM, 11.03.2015

Who were the Westons of Westlake? A family dedicated to community service

Part four of a five-part series.

In part 3 of this series in the Oct. 6 issue, we introduced you to the oldest son of George and Rhoda Weston, Asa L. Weston. In this article we will introduce you to their middle son, Arthur E., who received the center portion of their 100-acre farm on Columbia Road in the late 1800s. George, Rhoda and their sons had earlier occupied the currently city-owned Lilly-Weston house at 27946 Center Ridge, next to the Westlake Recreation Center.

Arthur built a home in 1888 which still survives at 2363 Columbia Road. He was a skilled carpenter and built seven homes in the West Hedgewood/Hall Road area. Both he and his wife, Clara Brown, taught briefly in the schools. Together they had three children – Lucy, Burton and Charles. From 1904 to 1909, Arthur was clerk of Dover Township and was a member of the Dover Village Council in 1914 and 1915. In the 1920s he became the clerk for the Dover Village School Board.

Read Full Story
Volume 7, Issue 20, Posted 10:17 AM, 10.20.2015

Clague House Museum celebrates the fall season

October is a very busy month for the Westlake Historical Society and the historic Clague House Museum!

Our fall Teddy Bear Sleepover is scheduled to take place on Saturday, Oct. 24. Children are invited to drop off their teddy bear to spend the night at the Clague House Museum. Check-in for the teddy bears is at 7 p.m. on Saturday evening and check-out time is Sunday at 1 p.m. Children and their bears are invited to stay for our Fall Open House and Kids Sunday. The open house will run from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.

Read Full Story
Volume 7, Issue 20, Posted 10:00 AM, 10.20.2015

Who were the Westons of Westlake? A generation devoted to education

Part three of a five-part series.

In part 2 of this series in the Sept. 1 issue, we introduced you to the three sons of George and Rhoda Weston who all had farmland cut from their parents' 100-acre farm on Columbia Road in the late 1800s and early 1900s. George and Rhoda had earlier occupied the Lilly-Weston house at 27946 Center Ridge, next to the Westlake Recreation Center.

The initial division of land on Columbia had Asa L. receiving the northerly portion, on which he built a home in 1883 which still survives at 2283 Columbia Rd. Another trace left on his land is a street named Weston Avenue which now serves as the entrance driveway into Cuyahoga Community College’s Corporate College. This is very fitting because a number of Weston descendants served the community as teachers or in other capacities which supported education in Dover, Westlake and the Greater Cleveland area.

Read Full Story
Volume 7, Issue 19, Posted 9:00 AM, 10.06.2015

It all started with a red light: The Bay Village Police Department enters the digital age

Part two of a two-part series.

In the first installment of this series in the Sept. 1 issue, I attempted to follow the path of the Bay Village Police Department's communication technology. In the mid-20th Century officers on patrol would respond to a call for service via a red light attached to the Community House; by 1959 they had adopted the use of two-way VHF radio. The department recently modernized its communication equipment to a high-tech digital radio network to accomplish the task.

In my previous article I mentioned that Bay Village Police Department Chief Mark A. Spaetzel had been kind enough to meet with me and provide any information he could relating to this story.

Chief Spaetzel confirmed my finding of his department’s long term utilization of the VHF radio frequency mentioned in my previous article, and also confirmed my personal observation that through the years on that frequency his department would periodically need to update its radio equipment in order to communicate effectively. Even so, operation on the VHF frequency had been prone to marginal coverage in some areas of Bay Village, and, overall the radio system had been showing its age.

Read Full Story
Volume 7, Issue 19, Posted 9:00 AM, 10.06.2015

Marker honors Westlake's Cooley

On Saturday, Sept. 12, the Westlake Historical Society dedicated an Ohio Historical Marker to George L. Cooley. 

This marker honors one of Westlake's own. Affectionately known to many as "Uncle George," he has myriad credits to his name – teacher, contractor, road builder, insurance executive and organizer of county and state farmers.

George was born in 1861 and raised on a farm at what is now the corner of Dover Center Road and Hilliard Boulevard. After attending Ohio Northern University, he taught at the Osborn School, located in the part of Dover Township that is now Bay Village, then taught at the old Red Brick School on Dover Center Road.

Read Full Story
Volume 7, Issue 18, Posted 8:58 AM, 09.15.2015

Tracing history of century-old Vanek 'farmhouse' on Bassett Road

Probably anyone who lives in the west end of Bay Village has noticed some dramatic changes that have occurred in the southernmost block of Bassett Road, just north of the railroad tracks in the last couple years. Several small cottages have been replaced by substantial new homes on the east side of the street, while on the west side of the street, just north of Crossroads Church, a century home has received lots of investment.

The house looked kind of forlorn for a number of years until it was purchased by new owners. Improvements include a large attached garage, painted red with a gambrel roof that looks like a barn. It is a nice addition to the house which looks like a typical gable/wing vernacular farmhouse.

Read Full Story
Volume 7, Issue 18, Posted 9:06 AM, 09.15.2015

It all started with a red light: The early days of Bay Village police communication

Part one of a two-part series.

What do a red light attached to the Bay Village Community House and a high tech digital radio communication system have in common? Separated by a number of decades, they were and are both devices used to notify police officers patrolling the streets of Bay Village their assistance is needed somewhere in the city.

Subsequent to well-respected former Bay Village Police Chief Fred Drenkhan’s passing earlier this year, a passage in his April 19, 2015, Plain Dealer obituary stated that, when Chief Drenkhan was a new patrol officer, “the village’s two patrol cars did not have two-way radios. Officers making rounds would periodically check for a signal from the red light atop the Community House.”

Read Full Story
Volume 7, Issue 17, Posted 8:50 AM, 09.01.2015

Who were the Westons of Westlake? As 'second wave,' settlers build lasting legacy

Part two of a five-part series.

In part 1 of this series (printed last May in Issue 7.10), we introduced you to “Deacon” Asa Weston, who had moved from Massachusetts to Ohio in 1817 after marrying his wife, Thankful Robbins. They settled in Euclid Township. George Weston was born to them there. 

At 24, George moved to Medina County where he met and married Rhoda Allis. Their son Asa Lemuel was born there in 1853.

In 1852 Thankful died and in 1853 “Deacon” Asa remarried. In about 1855 Asa Sr. and his second wife, Mary, as well as George, Rhoda, and Asa L. moved to Dover Township. In 1862 Arthur E. was born to George and Rhoda when they lived in a house near Bradley and Center Ridge.

Read Full Story
Volume 7, Issue 17, Posted 8:51 AM, 09.01.2015

Cutest pet in Westlake sought by historical society

 The Westlake Historical Society is "paws-ing" for the past with our annual Cutest Pet in Westlake contest. If you have the cutest pet in Westlake, please enter him or her in the contest by sending a photo to Cutest Pet Contest, c/o Westlake Historical Society, P.O. Box 45064, Westlake, OH 44145. Dogs, cats, hamsters, turtles, birds, fish and even the family ferret can enter. New this year: We will have a separate puppy division for pets under one year old.

We request a $5 dollar donation for each photo submitted. Photos must be received by 5 p.m. on Sept. 8. Photos can be black & white, or color. High resolution photos, please. Limit of two photos per pet. Westlake residents only. Do you need someone to take a photo for you? The historical society has photo volunteers for no charge.

Read Full Story
Volume 7, Issue 16, Posted 9:45 AM, 08.18.2015

Ida Cahoon's Will: Forever

Cahoon Park is one of Bay Village’s most valued pieces of land. Scratch that, it’s one of Ohio's most valued pieces of land. Some would even consider it to be the most valuable property between New York and Chicago.

The park serves as both the historical and recreational center of the city. The west end of the park has Rose Hill Museum, Bay Skate and Bike Park, and massive soccer fields, while the east end boasts the $2.9 million aquatic center, as well as various courts and fields that many residents enjoy throughout the year

And enjoy they do – with one set of stipulations.

Read Full Story
Volume 7, Issue 13, Posted 9:57 AM, 07.07.2015

The Edward A. and Clydie B. Martin House, built in 1905 in Bay Village

Part two of a multi-part series about century homes on Bassett Road in Bay Village.

The home at 427 Bassett Road is a tall, substantial home located just south of the Bay High School driveway that exits onto Bassett Road. An expansive porch, several bay windows, and an assortment of other window shapes and sizes give the front façade a warm, welcoming, cozy feel. It has a touch of the Queen Anne Style in its asymmetry and the use of shingles on the façade. Previous sources have given the date of construction as circa 1890 but tax records clearly indicate that it was constructed in 1905.

In 1904 the one acre of land that the home was constructed on was carved off of a 13-acre parcel owned by Henry Frederick and Louisa M. E. Albers. The property transferred on Jan, 30, 1904, and work may have begun on the home the following spring but the tax value did not increase until the second half of 1905.

Read Full Story
Volume 7, Issue 12, Posted 9:29 AM, 06.16.2015

Sally Price, Her Story

His-story? Why not her-story? Just for today we will call it herstory, the story of much lauded historian of Bay Village, Sally Price.

I first learned of Ms. Price through the book she wrote with Virginia Peterson, "Images of America: Bay Village." 

“Thanks to Ginnie and Sally we have a wonderful history of Bay Village," says fellow Bay Village Historical Society member, Evelyn Allen. “Sally provided a unique and personal perspective of life here since 1810. The photographs she provided and the captions she helped write give us all a precious history of our town.”

Read Full Story
Volume 7, Issue 10, Posted 9:54 AM, 05.19.2015

Who were the Westons of Westlake?

Part one of a multi-part series.

First there was Deacon Asa Weston. He was born in 1793 in Pittsfield, Massachusetts, the hometown of a number of the original pioneers of Dover Township. He immigrated to Ohio in 1816 and settled in Euclid Township, east of Cleveland.

His first glimpse of Dover was when he was hired by a man who owned land near Toledo to deliver the taxes owed, in person. In order to save money, Deacon Asa walked from Euclid to Toledo and back.

Read Full Story
Volume 7, Issue 10, Posted 9:40 AM, 05.19.2015

Who was Lilly Weston?

Who was Lilly Weston?

She sounds like she could have been the childhood friend of Annie Oakley or Calamity Jane. Actually there was no Lilly Weston. But there is a Lilly-Weston, as in the historical house in Westlake. No, that is not a modern family, hyphenated last name. It is two surnames: Lilly and Weston.

The Lilly-Weston house is located at 27946 Center Ridge Road, just east of the Westlake Recreation Center entrance drive. “Lilly” represents the last name of the family who built the stone portion of the house in about 1844 and added the brick portion in about 1855. “Weston” represents the last name of an early Dover/Westlake family whose ancestor, George Weston, purchased the home from the Lillys in 1866 and owned it until 1872.

Read Full Story
Volume 7, Issue 9, Posted 9:18 AM, 05.05.2015

Westlake Historical Society holds history lesson at Evergreen Cemetery

One of the best places to learn about the people of a particular town is in the local cemetery. You can learn about when they lived, died, and who made up their family tree.

When the founders first arrived in our area, then known as Western Reserve Range 15, in 1810, it was found to be a wild and new place covered by trees as well as bears, deer and other inhabitants.

On May 16, noon to 3 p.m., you will have the opportunity to learn more about our history when members of the Westlake Historical Society and their friends re-enact the roles of some of Westlake's noteworthy residents. This yearly tour of Evergreen Cemetery, 29535 Center Ridge Road, is always a favorite way to experience history.

Read Full Story
Volume 7, Issue 9, Posted 9:13 AM, 05.05.2015

A tree for the Clague House

When the new Westlake Historical Society president, Lysa Stanton, walked into the Clague House five years ago she surveyed the many curated items in every room and on every wall. “Sophronia Clague covered the walls with photographs,” says Lysa, but there was one wall with a missing photo or painting.

Lysa turned to her husband, Dave Pfister, and asked, “Who will be there?” She knew immediately it should not be one person but a collage of the Clagues – a family tree. After four years of searching herself, she enlisted the aid of “the sisters” as she calls them, actually family historians from the local Mormon Church.

Read Full Story
Volume 7, Issue 8, Posted 9:39 AM, 04.21.2015

Bay Village Century Homes: The Frank Sadler House, 317 Bassett Road

The Bay Village Historical Society is tentatively planning a tour of century homes on Bassett Road next fall. In preparation for the tour we are researching the history of the homes and hope to update the community with our findings from time to time here in the Westlake | Bay Village Observer.

The first home that we have researched is the Frank Sadler home at 317 Bassett Road. At one time it was the only home on the east side of Bassett in the area between Electric Boulevard and Lake Road. Frank Sadler was the son of William E. Sadler and Ann Eliza Lilly Sadler.

In 1876, William E. Sadler constructed a large Victorian home which still stands at 31065 Lake Road. William E. grew up in a Greek Revival home that his father William Sadler built that up until a few years ago stood at 29737 Lake Road, the southeast corner of Ruth and Lake roads.

Read Full Story
Volume 7, Issue 8, Posted 9:44 AM, 04.21.2015

Yard sale marks spring's arrival

Signs of spring have arrived in Westlake. The days are slowly warming and spring flowers are blooming. If you look closely you will see the new buds on the trees. The feel of spring is in the air! With the start of a new baseball season I am optimistic or hopeful that the Cleveland Indians will do well this year. Hope does "spring" eternal.

Spring also means that it is time for the Westlake Historical Society's spring yard sale. This yearly sale is looked forward to by many. The bargains are plentiful, but the sale also means winter is out of here.

The sale will take place on the lawn of the Clague House Museum on Saturday, April 25, from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. The rain date will be the following Saturday.

Read Full Story
Volume 7, Issue 8, Posted 9:40 AM, 04.21.2015

Westlake Historical Society marks 150th birthday of native son Jack Miner

This year the Westlake Historical Society celebrates the sesquicentennial of the birth of Westlake’s native son, Jack Miner. Our community identifies with “Wild Goose Jack,” through the Ohio Historical marker placed on the west side of Dover Center Road, south of Westown Boulevard near Cahoon Creek.

Born April 10, 1865, Jack spent the first 13 years of his youth exploring, observing and developing a deep and passionate relationship with the outdoors. It was in Dover Township that Jack’s life experiences laid the foundation for his future legacy as “The Father of Conservation.” In 1878, the Miners moved north of the border to Kingsville, Ontario, where Jack spent the remainder of his life.

Read Full Story
Volume 7, Issue 7, Posted 9:55 AM, 04.07.2015

The Lake Shore Electric Railway Trestle

Have you ever noticed the very large concrete structure that crosses Porter Creek and Porter Creek Road in Bay Village's Huntington Reservation? The Lake Shore Electric Railway trestle is one of the few remnants of a bygone era. It once carried the interurban train on its journey from Cleveland to Detroit.

The Lake Shore Railway system serviced Cleveland, Lorain, Sandusky, Norwalk, Fremont, Toledo and Detroit and carried over 5 million passengers per year during its time. It ran from 1901 until 1938, when the popularity of buses and personal automobiles caused its demise.

Read Full Story
Volume 7, Issue 6, Posted 10:03 AM, 03.17.2015

Westlake Historical Society to erect 7th historical marker

How significant is the number 7 in our society? There are seven days in the week, seven notes on the musical scale, and seven wonders of the world. Many say the number 7 is magical.

I point this out because all of us at the Westlake Historical Society are very proud to announce our seventh Ohio Historical Marker honoring George L. Cooley – a teacher, contractor, road builder, insurance executive and organizer of county and state farmers.

Read Full Story
Volume 7, Issue 6, Posted 9:44 AM, 03.17.2015

Love is in the air at Clague House Museum

Old-fashioned Valentine’s Day party open to all

Visit the Clague House Museum on Sunday, Feb. 8, for an old-fashioned Valentine's Day party with the Westlake Historical Society.

Let's shake off the winter chills and come inside the Clague family home, located at 1371 Clague Road. Enjoy an afternoon of crafts, sweet treats and museum tours. There is no charge for the event, but donations are gratefully accepted.

Read Full Story
Volume 7, Issue 3, Posted 9:39 AM, 02.03.2015

A Bay Village Neighborhood Story: Prutton's Pond

Do you remember Prutton’s Pond on Bradley Road?

On May 9, 1835, Thomas Powell of Olean, New York, came to Dover Township. He purchased 80 acres of Lot #81 from Nehemiah Hubbard on the west side of Bradley Road. On the south end of the property, Thomas built a saw mill on Porter Creek.

Let’s jump ahead 100 years to 1944 when the James Prutton family purchased the property at 632 Bradley Road. The Pruttons owned six-and-a-half acres of Thomas Powell’s original 80 acres. Their frontage was 305 feet on Bradley Road by 1100 feet west on Naigle, having purchased the adjoining fields for back taxes. On the property was a single lath house minus plumbing, Porter Creek and the old foundation from the sawmill and dam.

Read Full Story
Volume 7, Issue 3, Posted 9:47 AM, 02.03.2015

Meet two brave missionary women from Dover

Dr. Lucy P. Bement and Frances K. Bement were brave sisters who served as Christian missionaries to China in the early 20th century. Also, from 1912 until the 1940s, they owned the little stone home at 30419 Center Ridge Road in Westlake.

They were born in Dover Township (as Westlake was originally known) just after the Civil War and Lucy lived until the eve of World War II, Frances until after the end of it. Their father, Lorenzo C. Bement, was a postmaster in Dover who owned a grocery store at what became the southwestern corner of Bradley and Center Ridge roads, where Wagner’s Country Inn is located today.

Read Full Story
Volume 7, Issue 2, Posted 9:50 AM, 01.20.2015

Westlake house has a Chinese connection

In the Dec. 9 issue of the Observer we discussed that the stone building at 30419 Center Ridge Road, just west of the old Green’s Garage, was probably built for Jonathon S. Lilly around 1846. Jonathon was the youngest brother of Austin Lilly who had the original stone portion of the Lilly/Weston house at 27946 Center Ridge (next to the Westlake Recreation center) built in about 1844. So there appears to be a strong connection between the two surviving stone houses on Center Ridge Road in Westlake, if in fact it was constructed in the 1840s as we believe.

Cuyahoga County auditor records, however, give a construction date of 1890 for the curious little building. An 1870 tax map shows a home in its location with a barn on the north side of Center Ridge Road. The Hanks family owned the property in 1870.

By 1880 the property was owned by Ann Bement, the wife of Lorenzo Bement. Lorenzo Bement was a postmaster with a grocery store on the southwest corner of what is now Bradley and Center Ridge roads.

Read Full Story
Volume 7, Issue 1, Posted 9:46 AM, 01.06.2015

Re-enactors bring Civil War stories to life

It was standing room only at the November potluck of the Bay Village Historical Society.

Upon entering the Community House, members were transported back to the Civil War in 1862. Lining the doorway were seven 105th Ohio Volunteer Infantry soldiers welcoming us to the potluck and program. The tables were festive with flowers of fall colors and small pictures of Ohio heroines. Thanksgiving dinner was set on a large table in front of the fireplace.

Draped across the wall as if hung on a clothes line were Tom Gorgas’s Civil War flags representing the Union and the Confederate troops. Civil War rifles were stacked in the corners of the room. The traveling Civil War trunk from the Lakewood Historical Society was on display along with memorabilia from Rose Hill and Tom Phillip’s Civil War rifle. Two authentic period quilts were shared by Sharon Morton depicting typical fabrics and designs used during this era.

Read Full Story
Volume 6, Issue 25, Posted 9:37 AM, 12.09.2014

A second sandstone Lilly House in Westlake?

The stone building on a knoll on the south side of the street at 30419 Center Ridge Road (just west of Green’s Garage) was placed on the Ohio Historic Inventory by the Cuyahoga County Regional Planning Commission in 1987. Some of the things that made it significant to them was its rock-faced ashlar sandstone construction, its low hipped roof and cornice line which they noted may have been inspired by Greek Revival and its hipped-roof, double-pen form, which they observe is more of a Southern Folk Victorian style.

Read Full Story
Volume 6, Issue 25, Posted 9:36 AM, 12.09.2014

Historical society identifies another century home in Westlake

The Westlake Historical Society was recently requested by the current owner of 24102 Center Ridge Road, Dr. Marvin D. Shie Jr., to research his home to determine if it is a century home. Dr. and Mrs. Shie purchased the home in 1955 from Lucy and Harry Hoag.

We have determined that this gable/wing farmhouse is certainly certainly more than 100 years old, and thus a century home. It was most likely constructed in either 1871 for William Mitchell or 1882 for William and his wife, Margaret. William was born in England in approximately 1836, Margaret in Ireland in about 1845.

Read Full Story
Volume 6, Issue 24, Posted 9:44 AM, 11.25.2014

It's time to get Bay's clock ticking again

Bay residents, would you like our city's clock to be right more than twice a day? The subject of our clock repair was brought up at a recent City Council meeting. I attended the 100-year recognition ceremony at the council meeting on Monday, Nov. 3. The room was filled to capacity.

As part of the meeting, I had the honor of presenting a $6,000 grant from the Bay Village Foundation to start a fund to repair the city clock. The Foundation’s goal is to raise an additional $12,000 from private donations for a total of $18,000.

This particular City Council meeting included the celebration of the 100th anniversary of the first council meeting at the Bay Village City Hall on Nov. 3, 1914. The eastern portion of City Hall facing Dover Center Road was constructed in 1914 (at a cost of $8,000!).

Read Full Story
Volume 6, Issue 23, Posted 10:35 AM, 11.11.2014

Cemetery tour shares stories from Bay's past

Blue skies, gorgeous fall colors and seasonably warm temperatures welcomed visitors to the Lakeside Cemetery Tour. The Oct. 26 event was co-sponsored by the Bay Village Historical Society and Huntington Playhouse. Visitors received a better understanding about the cemetery’s historic beginning, founded 200 years ago after the untimely deaths of Rebecca Porter, her infant son, Dennis, and George Smith as they crossed the Rocky River returning from Cleveland.

Rebecca’s sister and brother-in-law, Sarah and Reuben Osborn, were so distraught over their loss that they donated land for a public burying ground that bordered on the two family's properties. Numerous burials would take place over the years in a six-row layout with many graves presumed unmarked today. 

Dover, which is now Bay Village, Westlake and the northern portion of North Olmsted, experienced growth as more settlers were moving into the area and the population was increasing. Expansion of the cemetery was deemed necessary in 1877. Land was purchased from the Osborn and Hassler families to the north, east and west to bring it to its present size.

Read Full Story
Volume 6, Issue 23, Posted 10:29 AM, 11.11.2014

Westlake Historical Society selects cutest pet winner

The Westlake Historical Society would like to congratulate the James family and their dog, “Omar.” He has been selected as Westlake's cutest pet for 2015!

The James family said, “Omar was born on April 29, 2008. He is a very quiet Yorkie! He doesn’t play with toys but loves to go on long walks and socialize with all the neighbors! Many thanks to all our friends and neighbors who stop to pet him! He also enjoys walking in Clague Park and the Metroparks! Besides his Purina Pro Plan he likes bits of peppers, apples and eggs. Ice cream is an extra special occasional treat! He loves stealing tissues out of the wastebasket and then being chased. In the winter he loves to snuggle on the couch with us. He loves car rides, belly rubs and back scratches. He gives lots of kisses and is always happy to see everyone!”

Read Full Story
Volume 6, Issue 23, Posted 9:47 AM, 11.11.2014

Bay Village City Hall turns 100

One hundred years ago, in 1914, the Village of Bay was a young, growing town, having broken away from the township of Dover in 1901. At the turn of the century, a group of residents who lived north of the Nickel Plate Railroad tracks wished to secede from Dover after disagreements over the spending of tax revenues. The petitioners scheduled an election and voted themselves out of Dover and into a new community, called the Hamlet of Bay until being incorporated in 1903 as the Village of Bay.

THE VILLAGE GROWS
At the end of the 1800s, this farming community of North Dover was also a playground for the affluent. The Lake Shore Electric Railway’s interurban cars brought city folk away from the steamy city and to the cool retreat of summer cottages and the Dover Bay Country Club. Wealthy men, like John Huntington and Washington Lawrence, purchased large swaths of property and built lakefront homes.

By the early part of the 20th century, the community was undergoing a transformation. The interurban railway that brought vacationers to Bay also made daily downtown commuting a possibility. Families began buying parcels of land and the summer retreat evolved into a year-round residence.

Read Full Story
Volume 6, Issue 22, Posted 9:34 AM, 10.28.2014

Local archaeologist to speak on early stone houses

Join the Westlake Historical Society as they host a talk by Dr. Roy Larick about early stone houses in the Western Reserve and the geology behind and “beneath” them. Dr. Larick uses Google to create eye-catching maps which make the geology of northeast Ohio accessible to all.

Roy Larick was raised in Euclid, graduated from Ohio University in 1972 and spent 30 years as an archaeologist working around the globe. Dr. Larick returned home in 2001, bringing a long term perspective on change in local landscapes. He now documents natural and cultural change in ecologically sensitive places.

Read Full Story
Volume 6, Issue 21, Posted 10:00 AM, 10.14.2014

Battle of Lake Erie commemorated

The Peter Navarre Chapter of the United States Daughters of 1812 participated in the annual commemoration of the Battle of Lake Erie. A wreath-laying ceremony was held by the Early Settlers Association on Sept. 10, 2014 – the 201st anniversary of the battle.

The event took place at the Oliver Hazard Perry statue in Fort Huntington Park, at the corner of Lakeside Avenue and West Third Street in Cleveland.

The Bicentennial of the War of 1812 is in the final year. The Treaty of Ghent was signed on Christmas Eve 1814, and ratified soon after by the British. Due to lengthy travel time across "the pond," the United States did not ratify the treaty until Feb. 17, 1815, at which time the war officially ended.

Read Full Story
Volume 6, Issue 20, Posted 9:56 AM, 09.30.2014

Astronaut from Westlake honored with historical marker

The community is invited as The Westlake Historical Society will honor astronaut and Westlake native Robert Overmyer on Saturday, Aug. 23, at noon with an Ohio Historical Marker placed in Clague Memorial Park by the Clague pond gazebo. There will be a reception following the dedication in Clague Cabin.

Read Full Story
Volume 6, Issue 17, Posted 9:45 AM, 08.19.2014