Clagues honored for gift to Dover
One of the largest events to be held in Dover was held on December 14, 1926. That evening, the Dover Civic League honored Walter and Sophronia Clague at a public banquet and reception.The event was held at the public high school gymnasium.
The banquet was given to honor the gift of the family farm as a place of recreation and the homestead to be used as a library of Dover history. The park was to be forever known as Clague Memorial Park.
The Clagues were presented with an engraved resolution. Sophronia was also presented with flowers and many spoke of the tremendous gift the Clague family was giving to the community of Dover, then and into the future. Friends and neighbors of the Clagues also had the opportunity to speak of the wonderful asset a park would be for the town of Dover.
Sixty-five acres on the west and 12 acres on the east would become what we now know as Westlake's Clague Memorial Park. The Clague family barn is now the Clague Playhouse, and the beautiful and majestic Clague House has been home to the Westlake Historical Society since 1967.
Lysa Stanton is president of the Westlake Historical Society.