Westlake school board VP announces re-election campaign
I am pleased to announce my candidacy for re-election to the Westlake Board of Education and I ask for your vote on November 8; a vote that will continue our district’s excellence for the success of all Westlake students.
Serving the Westlake community during my first term on the School Board has been a privilege. I thank the citizens of Westlake for this opportunity to use my background as an educator to work collaboratively with my board colleagues and the district leadership as we strive to make Westlake the premier district in Ohio.
The results of my board leadership as I complete my first term in office include:
- Receipt of our 12th consecutive district rating of “Excellent” by the state of Ohio putting us in the top 4% of districts statewide;
- Approval of the district’s construction project that will address facility needs for our 5th–12th grade students;
- Approval of the International Baccalaureate Primary Years Program for grades PK-4;
- Improved district bond rating to the top 4% in Ohio;
- District receipt of its 18th consecutive Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting and 3rd consecutive perfect audit;
- Transparent and inclusive facilities study process and overall approach to school and community issues;
- Bond issue timed to ensure historically low bond interest rates; and
- Continued ranking in the bottom 25% for school property taxes in the county.
There is still more to accomplish for a district striving to be the best while facing continued financial challenges. As a Westlake School Board member I will continue to:
- Protect taxpayer dollars;
- Balance academic excellence with important cost-saving measures;
- Advocate for a world-class, well-rounded educational program for high student achievement;
- Ensure the construction project is on-time and on budget; and
- Deliver transparent, responsive board governance.
Most importantly, I will continue to safeguard our community’s investment in our students and our public schools. After all, high quality public schools are integral to the strength of our community and the success of our children.
The upcoming election is critical to the success of Westlake City Schools as the district faces challenges that require experienced, proven leadership that is focused on solutions. I am that candidate and a vote for me on November 8 will secure our district’s ability to appropriately respond to upcoming challenges.
Carol L. Winter
Candidate for Re-election to Westlake Board of Education
Vice President, Westlake Board of Education