Socialize and learn from the safety of your home
Feeling tired of being socially distant and isolated from fun? Please consider Zooming with us! The Westlake Community Services Department has been offering an array of Fifty-Plus opportunities via Zoom since May. We have exercise, discussion groups, Smithsonian tours, cooking classes, history classes, board games, book discussions and more!
The best part is that the classes are either facilitated or co-facilitated by our Westlake Community Services staff, so you'll get to know us and we'll get to know you. The experience is anything but impersonal. You'll also get to know other seniors in our community, as we host with a friendly and social environment.
New to Zoom? That's OK! If you have a tablet, computer or smart phone, you can do this. Call us up and we'll talk you through the steps. You won't believe how easy it is and you won't be sorry you tried it. You might even win a prize at the end of the month. More about that later.
Here are just some of our December Zoom offerings. All are FREE with the exception of exercise. Call 440-899-3544 to register.
- Exercise (for seniors): every Wednesday at 8:30 a.m. $5.00/session
- Smithsonian: Experiencing America (The Great Courses): Mondays at 11 a.m.
- Holiday Smart Energy Living: Monday, Dec. 7, 1 p.m.
- Aging Alone: Wednesday, Dec. 9, 10 a.m.
- News and Views: Wednesday, Dec. 9, 11 a.m.
- Laugh for the Health of It: Thursday, Dec. 10, 10 a.m.
- Coffee and Conversation: Tuesday, Dec. 15, 11 a.m.
- Holiday Book Discussion: Tuesday, Dec. 15, 1:30 p.m.
- Scavenger Hunt: Wednesday, Dec. 16, 10 a.m.
- Book Discussion: Monday, Dec. 16, 10 a.m.
- Podcast – Amusement Parks: Tuesday, Dec. 22, 1 p.m.
- TED Talk and Discussion: Tuesday, Dec. 23, 11 a.m.
Everyone who Zooms with us is entered into a Spin the Wheel Drawing at the end of the month. Your name is placed on the wheel for each program you attended. Also, if you recruit someone new to Zoom, you receive an extra chance on the wheel! In the past month we gave away holiday gift baskets and Honey Baked Ham gift cards valued at $50 each.
If you have any questions about these programs, how to register or how to Zoom please call us. The number again is 440-899-3544. View a more in-depth description in our monthly Pathways newsletter found at www.cityofwestlake.org/community-services. Our Community Services department is dedicated to providing quality Fifty-Plus programs and activities. You do not need to be a Westlake resident to participate in our Zooms. Come join the fun and socialize in the safest way possible.
I am the Director of the Senior and Community Services Department for the City of Westlake. I am also a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor.