Westshore Enforcement Bureau commemorates 50 years
Westshore Enforcement Bureau (WEB) would like to respectfully extend its gratitude to the residents of Bay Village, Westlake, Fairview Park, Lakewood, North Olmsted and Rocky River for their continued trust and support of this beautifully orchestrated, multi-city partnership.
This unique collaboration has laid a 50-year foundation for a multi-jurisdictional operation since its inception in September 1970. The partnership arose to address shared interest in law enforcement and community planning needs across the six western suburbs.
One of the first of its kind, the Westshore Council of Governments and the Westshore Enforcement Bureau collaborative boards continue to meet monthly while communicating regularly about multi-government activities. Seated at the table are the mayors, police chiefs and representatives from each of the dedicated WEB units.
The Westshore Enforcement Bureau consists of specialty trained units serving a multi-pronged approach: Narcotics, Hazardous Device, Crisis Negotiation, Crowd Control, Hazmat, Vice, SWAT and CERT (Community Emergency Response Team).
Take a quick look back at just a few of many highlights from the past several years of the Narcotics Unit operations and programming:
- 2004-2019: 3,172 cases involving drug trafficking/possession/pharmaceutical diversion criminal cases with 3,806 defendants charged.
- 2010: The Westshore Young Leaders Network was established for middle and high school students. The WYLN is dedicated to implementing strategies aimed at prevention and reducing youth substance use while encouraging healthy lifestyle choices through hands on training, educational prevention events and leadership experiences.
- 2012: Prescription medication 365/24/7 drop boxes installed in each of the six Westshore police department lobbies with a total of 18,718 pounds collected and safely destroyed through 2019.
- 2014: Lifesaving NARCAN (overdose reversal product) issued to each member of the six Westshore police departments with 350 credited saves through 2019.
- 2018: In cooperation with MetroHealth launched the Quick Response Team (QRT) initiative which completes follow-up visits with overdose victims and their families providing resources for treatment, prevention and education.
Additionally, WEB would like to extend sincere thanks to all the past and present-day law enforcement personnel and city officials who constitute WEB for their continued dedication to serving and ensuring the safety of all families in Cleveland’s western suburbs.
WEB is the Westshore Enforcemt Bureau, a drug task force serving 6 Westshore Communities; Bay Village; Fairview Park; Lakewood; North Olmsted; Rocky River and Westlake. As School Prevention Specialsit working for WEB, I provide alcohol and drug prevention services for the middle and high school teens within the Westshore Schools.