Spring safety tips for pets
It’s that time of year to pay extra attention to a few items that could impact your pets' safety now that nicer weather is here.
- Ensure window screens and storm doors are safe and secure so no one can escape, and uninvited guests can't enter.
- Check fencing and gates, make sure latches are working properly and consider a "close the gate" sign. Remind contractors to please close gates. Check electronic fencing and batteries. Never use generic or inexpensive batteries. Only use manufacturer suggested products.
- Watch for flags where fertilizing and weed spraying has been done. Keep these and other chemicals alway from children and pets.
- Check pet collars for wear and tear. Make sure tags are current and on a proper fitting collar. Replace broken retractable leashes with safer cloth or leather leashes. Replace tattered soft cloth leashes too.
- Finally, be considerate of the neighborhood you walk your dogs and please pick up their waste and dispose of it in a city trash can or your own at home.
For additional pet suggestions please visit the Facebook page for The Friends of the Bay Village Kennel.
Owner, Hot Diggity Dog, Inc.
Blog writer for Ohio Pet Expert
Advocate for lost, stolen and injured pets