Bay Village Schools adds new events to homecoming lineup
The Bay Village City School District is big on tradition, including heritage Homecoming events such as the Thursday Night Bonfire and Friday Homecoming Parade (fondly known as the “candy parade” to many). A few new events have been added to the lineup this year, including a chalkfest, to bring even more families and residents out to celebrate Homecoming Week. Below is a complete list of events taking place throughout the week.
Wednesday, Sept. 22
"Where’s Your Spirit Wednesday" (Chalkfest)
- 3-4:30 p.m. – Bay Middle School students are invited to come to Bay Library to chalk the walking path in between BMS and the library with Homecoming spirit messages.
- 5:30-7:30 p.m. – Come show your One Rocket Nation spirit with the Sunshine Girls (Bay Village’s own chalk artists Lizzie Durny and Stacey Gepperth). Families are invited to share Homecoming messages and Rocket spirit messages in chalk along the south sidewalks of Wolf Road (Bay Middle School side) from Bay Middle School to Bay High School (which is also Friday’s parade route). Buckets of chalk will be placed along the sidewalks for everyone to use, or you can bring your own supplies.
- Orange safety cones will be placed along Wolf Road (south sidewalks) to mark areas with chalk buckets.
Thursday, Sept. 23
Westerly “Walk to School with Dad/Someone Special”
- 7:30-8:05 a.m. – Westerly Wolves will walk to school with Dad or someone special, and enjoy donuts and juice before the morning bell. Participants will meet at the playground.
Bonfire and Light the Night Walk
- 7-8 p.m.– Bay High School students and the community are invited to raise money for Leukemia & Lymphoma Society with a Light the Night Walk event and bonfire. Purchase Light the Night luminara through Sept. 22 at noon. Call BHS for details, 440-617-7400.
Friday, Sept. 24
Homecoming Parade and Football Game
- 5:45-6:25 p.m. – The Homecoming Parade steps off from the corner of Cahoon and Wolf roads, and makes its way down Wolf Road to Bay High School. Bring a lawn chair and bag to collect candy along the route! Bay Alumni Foundation’s Hall of Famers will be riding in the parade, along with BHS Homecoming Court, local dignitaries and community/district organizations.
- 5:45 p.m. – PTSA Cookout between BHS and the stadium.
- 6:35 p.m. – Homecoming pre-game activities.
- 7 p.m. – Bay High School football game vs. Rocky River.
Saturday, Sept. 25
Bay Alumni Foundation’s Hall of Fame Brunch
- 10 a.m. – Avon Oaks Country Club, $40 per person. Visit www.bayalumni.com for more information.
BHS Homecoming Dance
- 8-10 p.m. – Homecoming Dance at Bay High School.
Karen Uthe Semancik
Karen Uthe Semancik is the communications director for Bay Village Schools.