Meet the Candidates, Bay Village School Board: Deborah Callihan
“Every dream pursued starts with education as the foundation.”
40 years ago, my husband and I chose Bay Village because of its excellent schools and its commitment to the whole child. Our daughter attended Bay Schools through graduation and today, she and her husband are raising their three boys here.
After teaching Math/Algebra for 33 years, I retired from Lakewood City Schools. I proudly earned recognition as Lakewood City Schools Teacher of the Year. I also worked as a Classroom Teacher Educator for Cleveland State University, training undergraduates in classroom instruction and management.
As a member of our community, I’ve served as a:
- Member of the Strategic Planning Committee
- Chair of the Citizens Advisory Committee in the '90s
- Member of the PTA for many years
I remain deeply committed to education and believe all students should have access to a high-quality public education. This commitment is why I feel compelled to run for a seat on the Board of Education.
As a member of the board, I’d prioritize:
- Implementation of the Strategic Plan
- Continual improvement in communication with all stakeholders and residents in the community
- Advocacy for public schools – keeping an eye on legislation at the state level that impacts our district budget, and our educators.
- Supporting continued excellence to keep our schools academically strong, and fiscally responsible.
I hope to work with our Superintendent and the Board to always put our children first – by addressing the whole child. I hope to have the opportunity to support our teachers in a meaningful way – we have some of the best teachers in the state. Our children deserve the best – after all, they are our future. It would be an honor to serve on the board. I hope to earn your vote.