Dover becomes Westlake
What happens when two communities in Ohio both call themselves "Dover"? Confusion! This was the situation for our Dover Village and the other community also known as Dover located in Tuscarawas County.
Because the “other” Dover was more established, our Dover had to come up with a new name in order for the postal service to grant it a post office. A committee of residents was formed to meet the legal requirements necessary to change the name. “Westlake” was chosen as the replacement, and in February 1940 a petition was circulated among the town’s residents. The state required three-quarters of the residents to approve the name change, and the petition succeeded.
The Cuyahoga County Board of Elections confirmed the name change on August 21, 1940.