Westlake Bicentennial

Westlake, Bay Village united in shared roots

As the last leaves fall to the ground and the slate of Westlake’s Bicentennial events comes to a close, so ends what can be considered a two-year celebration of the founding of Dover. Two cities that were once one township honored their past in different ways, with Bay Village orchestrating one memorable weekend on Oct. 9-10, 2010, and Westlake filling the 2011 calendar year with enjoyable events across the city.

Although the two have forged different paths since the 1901 split, shared ancestry is a tie that binds. The lineages of pioneer families form a common thread that weaves throughout the record books, cemeteries, streets and historic homes of Bay and Westlake. Names like Cahoon, Johnson, Porter, Crocker, Bassett and Smith are among those often repeated in the histories of our two proud communities.

Read Full Story
Volume 3, Issue 23, Posted 4:18 PM, 11.16.2011

Beards for the Bicentennial

Westlake’s beard-growing contest came to razor-sharp end on Nov. 9 at City Hall. Ten contestants had been growing their facial hair for three months, in a light-hearted competition in honor of the Bicentennial. Mayor Dennis Clough, who also participated in a similar contest during the city’s 175th anniversary in 1986, proposed the idea and recruited some of the participants. The initial field of 20 was halved by the contest’s end as some contestants – or possibly their wives – began to bristle at the idea.

At the judging ceremony, each contestant was given a chance to persuade the all-female panel of judges to vote for them in one of five beard categories: best, worst, most innovative, longest and best use of color. Each beard was unique, varying in length, shape and color (some natural, some dyed). There was a good dose of bragging, some reminiscing of beards past and a bit of blatant groveling.

Read Full Story
Volume 3, Issue 23, Posted 9:41 PM, 11.09.2011

Plaque ceremony honors Westlake elected officials

Throughout the last year, the city of Westlake has honored the pioneers and founders that have shaped the city in the 200 years since its beginning as the township of Dover. One group of individuals was particularly influential in the growth of our community –  the elected officials of Dover and Westlake.

Honoring these persons was the spark behind Clerk of Council Denise Rosenbaum’s idea to create a plaque commemorating their involvement in the shaping and progress of the city.

Starting in February 2010, Rosenbaum began an investigation into the history of Dover/Westlake’s  government to assemble a fitting tribute to past city leaders. Her detailed research involved poring over archived records at the Western Reserve Historical Society, Westlake Porter Public Library and Westlake Historical Society, as well as newspaper files, plat maps and census records.

Read Full Story
Volume 3, Issue 23, Posted 8:13 PM, 11.16.2011

Westlake restaurants featured at Mayor Clough's Culinary Bicentennial Ball

If you want to sample some of the best food Westlake has to offer, your wait is over. Mark your calendar for Saturday Nov. 12, for Mayor Clough’s Culinary Bicentennial Ball at La Centre. All proceeds for this charity event are earmarked for the Bicentennial Dedication.

Mayor Dennis Clough has entrusted co-chairs Steve Novak, Jackie Todd and staff to put together a spectacular event that will culminate the yearlong celebration of Westlake’s history.

Read Full Story
Volume 3, Issue 22, Posted 11:21 AM, 11.01.2011

Westlake history: 1990-2011

The 1990s
In 1993, the Westlake Historical Society published a history of Westlake (and Dover) covering the period from 1930 through 1990 written by William M. Robishaw. The title of the book: “You’ve Come a Long Way, Westlake…and You’ve Got a Long Way To Go." Sometime between 1990 and 2011, the Westlake that we know today arrived!

In 1990 the population of the city was 27,018 – over double what it had been in 1960. Except for a service garage on Bassett Road, all city services were delivered primarily from one building – a one-story municipal building, constructed in 1953 at the corner of Hilliard Boulevard and Dover Center Road. The building contained all of the city’s administrative offices (except for the Law and Building departments which occupied houses next door) as well as the whole police and fire departments and all of the fire equipment!

Read Full Story
Volume 3, Issue 22, Posted 11:34 AM, 11.01.2011

Historian brings stories and songs to Porter Library Nov. 16

In celebration of Westlake’s Bicentennial, Cuyahoga West Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society will host Metroparks historian, songwriter and storyteller Foster Brown on Wednesday, Nov. 16.

Mr. Brown will take us on an historical journey of Westlake's earliest years, featuring his original song called "The Township of Dover." He will also include other songs about the Ohio & Erie Canal that focus on what life was like for the local people, who dug the canals and made Cleveland a powerful city.

This program begins at 7 p.m. in the Porter room of Westlake Porter Public Library, 27333 Center Ridge Rd. Social time for guests and members is from 6:30-7 p.m. The public is invited at no cost.

Read Full Story
Volume 3, Issue 22, Posted 11:30 AM, 11.01.2011

Waiting for baby

The birth of a baby is a special celebration and so is the celebration of a community's 200th birthday. The Westlake Historical Society really enjoys celebrating history of the past as well as history in the making. The historical society is patiently awaiting the birth of Westlake's Bicentennial Baby. The society wanted to do something special for the first baby born in Westlake. 

The first baby born in Westlake on Nov. 14, 2011, will have the honor of being Westlake's Bicentennial Baby. The society plans to present gifts to the baby and his or her family. Do you know who that baby might be? Maybe you are the aunt, uncle or parent of that special bundle of joy. You may even be the doctor that delivers that special baby.

Read Full Story
Volume 3, Issue 22, Posted 11:29 AM, 11.01.2011

As Bicentennial year comes to a close, Dover Bear hangs up his walking shoes

It is hard to believe that our Bicentennial year here in Westlake will soon be coming to a close. I have had a lot of fun sharing with all of you many things about Westlake. My favorite place in Westlake, of course, is the Clague House Museum.

The Clague House and homestead included  78 acres on both the east and west sides of Clague Road. The brick home is of an Italianate style, and was built in the later part of the 1870s. The home was built as a gift for Mrs. Margaret Clague by her children. To furnish the home, they gave her $1,000. Mother Clague felt that was an awful lot of money to spend to furnish the home.

Read Full Story
Volume 3, Issue 21, Posted 5:12 PM, 10.18.2011

Founders Walk taking shape

Workers from Schill Landscaping began laying bricks for the Founders Walk in Clague Memorial Park on Oct. 12. The walkway leads to the Clague Monument and will feature bricks salvaged from the 100-year-old Red Brick School, which was demolished in November 2010. Over 300 bricks will be engraved with the names of Westlake residents and businesses who purchased naming rights from the Westlake Historical Society and Westlake Kiwanis.

The Founders Walk project is part of Westlake's yearlong Bicentennial celebration and serves as a tribute to the early pioneer families of Dover/Westlake. The walk will be officially dedicated by the city in an Oct. 22 ceremony at noon. A bell from an old fire engine will ring out 200 times, once for each year of the city's history. The community is invited to attend. A birthday cake will be served immediately following the ceremony.

Read Full Story
Volume 3, Issue 21, Posted 12:20 PM, 10.13.2011

Nov. 3 ceremony honors Westlake's government officials

The city of Westlake invites the community to a special Bicentennial event: the unveiling of a plaque commemorating the government officials of Dover-Westlake, past and present, in a Nov. 3 ceremony at 7:30 p.m. in the City Hall rotunda. Light refreshments will be served.

If you or someone you know served on Council, as a trustee, clerk or mayor, please contact Denise Rosenbaum, Clerk of Council, at 440-617-4053 or drosenbaum@cityofwestlake.org.

Read Full Story
Volume 3, Issue 20, Posted 3:42 PM, 10.04.2011

Westlake to dedicate Founders Walk Oct. 22

As part of Westlake's yearlong Bicentennial celebration, the community was invited to "Leave Your Mark!" and become a part of Westlake history by purchasing an engraved century-old brick from the Red Brick School for the Bicentennial Founders Walk at Clague Park. 

Bricks were purchased by families as well as organizations and businesses. Many were purchased in memory of a loved one. A total of 265 bricks have been purchased, engraved, and are awaiting placement in the Founders Walk. This memorial will include 25 stone insets with names of founders, year they arrived in Westlake, the state from which they came, and a descriptive phrase.

Read Full Story
Volume 3, Issue 20, Posted 3:52 PM, 10.04.2011

Bicentennial art exchange comes to a close

The three-phase Westlake-Tralee Sister Cities Student Art Exchange entered its final bloom as 120 works of art made by school children from Westlake private and public schools as well as student and young adult work from Westlake’s Sister City, Tralee, County Kerry, Ireland, were showcased in Westlake City Hall for two weeks at the end of September.

Organized by Marge Widmar, the first two phases of the exchange included the Send-Off, where the Westlake collection of works from grades k-12 were packaged and shipped to Tralee.  Once in Tralee, these works joined art from Irish students to be exhibited as part of the Feile na mBlath Flower Festival in June at Siamsa Tire Theatre.

Read Full Story
Volume 3, Issue 20, Posted 3:50 PM, 10.04.2011

Industry, development redefine Westlake

Westlake continued to grow significantly during the 1970s and 1980s, spurred by the construction of Interstate-90 in the early 70s. Beginning with a population of 15,689 in 1970, the city of Westlake grew to a little over 27,000 residents by 1990.

The farming culture that had dominated Westlake’s past was fading in the face of growth and development. By the late 1980s, only one major family farm operation remained, owned by the Juergemeier brothers at the southwest corner of Detroit and Crocker roads. That land is now occupied by the Promenade and Crocker Park.

Read Full Story
Volume 3, Issue 20, Posted 3:44 PM, 10.04.2011

NASA's Overmyer makes Westlake proud

Col. Robert Overmyer, although born in Lorain, moved with his family to Canterbury Road in Westlake as a very young boy and always called Westlake home. Overmyer was a 1954 graduate of Westlake High School. He attended Baldwin-Wallace College, obtaining a degree in physics, and joined the Marine Corps after graduation. He entered flight school, and subsequently earned a master's degree in aeronautics.

In 1982, Overmyer was named pilot of a four man crew that was to be aboard the Columbia space shuttle that year. On Nov. 11, 1982, Overmyer commanded the Columbia Space Shuttle. It was on this mission that the first commercial satellite was launched.

Read Full Story
Volume 3, Issue 20, Posted 3:43 PM, 10.04.2011

Patriotism is in the air: Westlake celebrates nationís bicentennial

In anticipation of the nation’s bicentennial in 1976, Westlake Mayor Alex Roman created a Bicentennial Committee and appointed Joe Rossin as chairman in 1975. Soon plans were underway for a full slate of events to commemorate America’s 200th birthday here in Westlake.

Westlake was designated as a Bicentennial Community. A designation given to communities who planned activities to meet the three themes: Heritage ‘76, studying the past; Festival ‘76, enjoying the present; and Horizon ‘76, looking to the future.

Westlake fulfilled its Heritage ‘76 duties with yearlong open houses at the Clague House Museum. The Horizon ‘76 obligation of planning for the future was met with an application for federal funds to build a Bicentennial Community Building (although that grant was later denied).

Read Full Story
Volume 3, Issue 20, Posted 3:43 PM, 10.04.2011

Westlake celebrates 175th anniversary in 1986

Judy Burke, Ruth Hopkins, and Jean Dunham co-chaired the event, while Mayor Dennis Clough served as Honorary Co-Chairman. They all put together a wonderful celebration to commemorate the city's 175th birthday. As part of the special year, the Westlake Arts Council sponsored a tour of many of the city’s century homes. One of the favorite souvenirs was a limited edition commemorative plate, of which only 288 were made.

Read Full Story
Volume 3, Issue 20, Posted 3:43 PM, 10.04.2011

Porter Public Library celebrates the seventies in many ways

On Oct. 18, 1972, the Friends of Porter Public Library organized and gave its first gift to the library. With over 300 charter members the organization was then and continues to be a wonderful asset to the library by providing not only monetary but volunteer assistance to the library.

In October 1974, Porter Public Library had a week-long celebration in honor of its 90th birthday. As Westlake’s population increased, the number of library patrons doubled between 1960 and 1980. It became apparent that a new library would be in the best interest of the library and the Westlake community. With the passage of the 1983 bond issue, contracts were accepted and blueprints were drawn for a new facility. Construction began April 1, 1984, and was completed on Sept. 8, 1985.

Read Full Story
Volume 3, Issue 20, Posted 3:42 PM, 10.04.2011

Historical marker honors Westlake's first settler

The city of Westlake and the Westlake Historical Society held a special ceremony Sept. 15 at Evergreen Cemetery to unveil the a historical marker commemorating the city’s first settler, Leverett Johnson, and his donation of land for the cemetery.

Johnson was one of the first to arrive in the part of Dover Township that is now Bay Village on October 10, 1810. In 1811, he was the first to clear land in now-Westlake, and built a log cabin for his new bride, Abigail Cahoon, at the present intersection of Porter and Center Ridge roads. Theirs was the first marriage in Dover.

Johnson served as an early township Justice of the Peace, treasurer and trustee, and was a five-term Ohio legislator. He died of pneumonia in 1856, at age 61. He and Abigail, along with many members of Westlake’s founding families, are buried at Evergreen Cemetery.

In celebration of the city’s Bicentennial this year, an Ohio Historical Marker was commissioned to recognize Johnson’s contribution to the community. The impressive plaque stands near Johnson’s final resting place in Evergreen.

Read Full Story
Volume 3, Issue 19, Posted 8:56 PM, 09.15.2011

Historical society looking for bell ringers

The sound of ringing bells can be heard throughout history, and Westlake’s past is no exception. Church bells, wedding bells and school bells have been ringing through the streets since the Dover Township days.

As part of this year’s Bicentennial celebration, the Westlake Historical Society is asking members of the community to ring a bell for history. The society plans to ring an old Dover fire truck bell 200 times, once for each year of Westlake’s history, during the Founders’ Path dedication ceremony at Clague Memorial Park Oct. 22.

Businesses, churches and individuals of all ages are invited to ring a bell for a year that has significance for them. Year requests have already started coming in. Westlake Kiwanis president Rick Grane will ring the bell for the year 1954, his birth year; Carole Roske, president of the Bay Village Historical Society, will ring for 1901, signifying the year Bay split off from Dover Township; Westlake Historical Society president Lysa Stanton will ring for 2003, the year she moved to Westlake; and Tara Wendell will mark the year the Westlake | Bay Village Observer started by ringing for 2008.

Read Full Story
Volume 3, Issue 19, Posted 3:05 PM, 09.20.2011

Where's Dover the Bicentennial Bear?

Hey kids (of all ages), "Dover" the wandering Bicentennial Bear from the Westlake Historical Society has found another interesting and historical place! Every month, Dover travels to a different location in Westlake and reports back to us on what he finds.

This month, Dover Bear decided to join the historic Lolly The Trolley tour of Westlake. The Community Services Department organized the tour of Westlake’s historic homes on Sept. 15. Will Krause, assistant planning director for the city of Westlake narrated the tour, and Lysa Stanton, president of the Historical Society was also aboard.

Dover had the opportunity to see all the wonderful historical sites in Westlake, and he enjoyed hearing many interesting facts about our town. He learned that Westlake currently has 188 century homes and buildings and there are also many barns located within our city limits. He even had the chance to visit with a real horse.

Read Full Story
Volume 3, Issue 19, Posted 3:05 PM, 09.20.2011

Emergency planning and food storage program to be held Sept. 24

Several months ago, Greg Lassen was contemplating a Westlake Bicentennial program tentatively titled, Then and Now. Since he has created and follows his own food storage plan and has experience in gardening, it was a natural consideration to look at the differences of 1811 and 2011.

How similar yesteryear is to today in many respects – from growing and harvesting vegetables, fruits and grains with storage in cellars and spring houses to the same growing season, albeit refined with modernized tools. But the spirit of provident living remains the same – using the earth’s resources wisely and not wastefully and preparing for emergencies.

Read Full Story
Volume 3, Issue 18, Posted 4:08 PM, 09.07.2011

Tickets still available for Bicentennial Trolley Tour

In celebration of the its 200th birthday, the city of Westlake is offering a historical-themed trolley tour on Thursday, Sept. 15. The tour, led by Will Krause of the city’s planning department, includes a narrated ride past some of Westlake’s historic homes, a guided tour of the Clague House and lunch at Clague Cabin.

Tickets for the tour are $40 and include lunch. The deadline to purchase tickets is Sept. 9.

Two tours are available, both starting and ending at Clague Cabin. The Tour One trolley departs Clague Cabin at 8:45 a.m. for the Historic Homes tour and Clague House tour. The trolley will drop passengers off back at Clague Cabin around noon for lunch. The trip will be over by 1 p.m.

Tour Two begins with lunch at 11 a.m. at Clague Cabin. After lunch, the trolley will depart for the Clague House tour and Historic Homes tour. The trolley will return passengers to Clague Cabin around 3 p.m.

Read Full Story
Volume 3, Issue 18, Posted 10:20 AM, 08.26.2011

Westlake residents, businesses invited to show Bicentennial spirit with green bows

The Westlake Historical Society would like for you to join us as we display a green bow in support of our city's 200th birthday. Please display a green bow on your mailbox to show your support for the bicentennial celebration of our city's birthday.

All residents and businesses in Westlake are asked to display a green bow beginning on September 1. The Westlake Post Office has approved the display of bows on the outside of the mailbox. Please feel free to be creative! If you have any questions, call the Westlake Historical Society at 440-721-1201 or visit westlakeohiohistory.org.

Read Full Story
Volume 3, Issue 18, Posted 4:35 PM, 08.25.2011

Westlake population explodes in 1950s

U.S. Census figures show the population of Westlake shot up from approximately 4,912 in 1950 to 12,906 people in 1960. By 1970 the population had increased to 15,689.

This influx of new residents, many with families that included small children, caused a need for more homes, schools, shopping areas and better roads. Four new school buildings opened during the 1960s. During the decade, seven operating levies and one bond issue were passed.

Read Full Story
Volume 3, Issue 18, Posted 4:11 PM, 09.07.2011

Westlake chooses 'sinister' mascot

The Historical Society keeps a list of the top 20 questions we are asked. One of the questions on the list that comes up quite often concerns the history of the use of a Demon as the high school symbol.

Back when Westlake was still known as Dover and the high school was Dover High School, members of its athletic teams would proudly wear varsity jackets with the letter "D" sewn on. It was a badge of honor for the young men and those belonging to this exclusive club were known by their peers as the “D-Men.”

Read Full Story
Volume 3, Issue 18, Posted 4:11 PM, 09.07.2011

Everyone into the pool

In the mid-1960s, Mayor Roman and a number of residents felt that the city of Westlake should have public swimming pool. A committee was formed and community members went to work on making a pool in Westlake a reality.

By June 1966, a group of citizens had established the non-profit organization Westlake Swimming Pool Inc., with Robert Peterson as president. Their goal was to raise $140,000 for the construction of a pool in Clague Park. The group organized a fundraising drive, collecting just under $103,000 for the effort.

Read Full Story
Volume 3, Issue 18, Posted 4:11 PM, 09.07.2011

Recipe: Coconut Cake with Coconut White Chocolate Frosting

Joyce Affeldt’s Coconut Cake with Coconut White Chocolate Frosting took first place in Westlake's Bicentennial Bake-Off. Below is her winning recipe:

(Download a printer-friendly version)

Coconut Cake
Makes two 10-inch round cakes or four 9-inch round cakes

1 lb. unsalted butter
3 cups sugar
6 large eggs
4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 T baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1-1/2 cups heavy cream
1-1/2 T vanilla extract
1 tsp. coconut extract

Read Full Story
Volume 3, Issue 18, Posted 10:59 PM, 09.05.2011

Westlake to have time capsule as part of Bicentennial

As you may know, Westlake is celebrating its 200th birthday. To celebrate the last 200 years of Westlake's history, Westlake is getting a time capsule!

The time capsule is perfect for our Bicentennial because it will protect the history we are celebrating now and add to it. The time capsule will be opened in 100 years, but will have a sister time capsule that will be opened in only 25 years. The capsules will include items important to Westlake's history, such as the Westlake charter, and items common in the year 2011 and items relevant to the last 200 years.

 

Read Full Story
Volume 3, Issue 17, Posted 2:57 PM, 08.23.2011

Books tell tales of families who lived and died in early Dover Township

Does the Westlake Bicentennial celebration have you yearning for more information about early Westlake and Dover Township family histories? Cuyahoga West Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society has two award-winning books available for purchase: "Maple Ridge Cemetery Westlake, Cuyahoga County, OH: A history of Its People and Families" by Jeanne B. Workman and Jayne A. Broestl and "Pioneers of Westlake, Settlers in 1820 and Their Families," authored by Jeanne Workman.

The Maple Ridge Cemetery book was a culmination of the Ohio Bicentennial project that chapter members undertook from 2000-2003. This book was recognized for excellence by the Ohio Genealogical Society in 2004, and earned the Lida Flint Harshman Award. 

 

Read Full Story
Volume 3, Issue 17, Posted 2:58 PM, 08.23.2011

Where's Dover the Bicentennial Bear?

This summer has been filled with Westlake Bicentennial activities and there are more to come in the fall. Last week, Dover Bear heard some Westlake Historical Society members making plans for the Jack Miner Day and Rubber Duck Race in August 2012. Dover was fascinated by what he heard about this man named Jack Miner. To learn more about him, he visited the Jack Miner birthplace rock and Ohio Historical Marker placed on the corner of Dover Center Road and Westown Boulevard.

Dover read on the marker that Jack Miner was born April 7, 1865, in the section of Dover Township that was known as Dover Center. He lived in a small weather-beaten home with a leaky roof on Dover Center Road near the street we call Westown Boulevard today. Young Jack was one of 11 children, born of English parents who made a meager living in the brickyard across the street from their home. Jack’s father worked long hours to form the bricks that were sold for only $3.50 per 1,000.

 

Read Full Story
Volume 3, Issue 17, Posted 3:31 PM, 08.23.2011

Dover police in the 1930s and Ď40s

When Dover incorporated as a village in 1911, a police force was organized consisting of a town marshal, elected every two years, and deputies appointed on an as-needed basis by the marshal and the mayor. The deputies were paid a commission for each arrest and conviction – a system that was ripe for corruption.

The ad hoc deputies were eventually replaced by salaried police officers and by the 1930s, Dover Village had five police officers and a Ford Model-A coupe cruiser.

Law and order in the village
In the mid to late 1930s, Hilliard was just a two-lane country road with only three to four houses between Bradley Road and the Rocky River line. Since the road was practically deserted, many motorists were tempted to step on the gas as they drove through the village. Dover police became known for nabbing speeders, often hiding behind trees and barns along the road. In 1938, a Cleveland newspaper published a story warning motorists about the Dover speed traps.

Read Full Story
Volume 3, Issue 16, Posted 3:01 PM, 08.09.2011

The Great Depression hits Dover

The year 1929 may forever be known as the beginning of one of the darkest eras in American history. Nearly 15,000 banks had failed by 1933, and the unemployment rate was approaching 25%. On the farm front, crop prices were in a downward spiral. The Federal Farm Board was established to try to stabilize farm prices, but surpluses grew and prices continued to fall.

Dover Village, being a primarily agricultural community, was hit particularly hard. The 1930s were marked by uncertainty. Mortgage payments and property assessments became an impossible burden and many farmers were forced to sell their land or lost it through tax sales.  Investors and land speculators purchased hundreds of acres of Dover farm lands, often leaving the land unattended, until better days and higher prices would bring buyers.

Read Full Story
Volume 3, Issue 16, Posted 3:01 PM, 08.09.2011

Automobiles flood the streets of Dover

By the 1930s the horse and buggy had been replaced by the horseless carriage. As the gasoline engine was developed and the use of the auto seemed practical, larger vehicles such as trucks were used to transport crops to as far away as Cleveland.

Even though the first automobiles appeared in Dover around 1909, many families owned automobiles by the late 1920s and early 1930s. After Frank Sauer furnished Dover's first mechanical service and gasoline station, many others followed selling new vehicles, gasoline and service.

Read Full Story
Volume 3, Issue 16, Posted 3:02 PM, 08.09.2011

Dover becomes Westlake

What happens when two communities in Ohio both call themselves "Dover"? Confusion! This was the situation for our Dover Village and the other community also known as Dover located in Tuscarawas County.

Because the “other” Dover was more established, our Dover had to come up with a new name in order for the postal service to grant it a post office. A committee of residents was formed to meet the legal requirements necessary to change the name. “Westlake” was chosen as the replacement, and in February 1940 a petition was circulated among the town’s residents. The state required three-quarters of the residents to approve the name change, and the petition succeeded.

The Cuyahoga County Board of Elections confirmed the name change on August 21, 1940.

Read Full Story
Volume 3, Issue 16, Posted 3:01 PM, 08.09.2011

Bicentennial magnets now available

The City of Westlake is offering commemorative 2.25-by-4.25-inch magnets in honor of the Bicentennial this year. Magnets cost $2 each, and may be purchased at City Hall, the Rec Center, the Community Center, the Clague House Museum, or by calling 440-721-1201 or visiting westlakeohiohistory.org.

Read Full Story
Volume 3, Issue 15, Posted 3:45 PM, 07.26.2011

Where's Dover the Bicentennial Bear?

Hey kids (of all ages), "Dover" the wandering Bicentennial Bear from the Westlake Historical Society has found another interesting and historical place! Every month, Dover travels to a different location in Westlake and reports back to us on what he finds.

Earlier this month, Dover Bear saw a Westlake police cruiser checking on the Clague House Museum and was reminded just how hard working and dedicated our police officers are. Since Dover realized he did not know a lot about what happens behind the scenes with the Westlake police, he decided to stop at the station and ask.

Dover met Captain Guy Turner and was given the opportunity to learn more about what the police do and what it means to "protect and serve"!

Read Full Story
Volume 3, Issue 15, Posted 3:45 PM, 07.26.2011

George Cooley: Champion of the farmer

I recently had the pleasure of interviewing Mr. and Mrs. Roger Cooley at their home in Westlake. I wanted them to share the story of Roger's "Uncle George" so I could pass it along to our readers.

George Cooley, affectionately called "Uncle George," was born in 1861. He was raised on a farm on Dover Center Road at corner of Hilliard Boulevard. After attending school in Dover, George went on to Ohio Northern University. George came back to Dover to teach for ten years.

He taught at the Osborn School, located in what is now Bay Village, then taught as well in the old Red Brick School on Dover Center Road. George Cooley was a builder and would build many of the homes and barns in and around present-day Westlake. He was also the contractor for the water tower at Huntington Park. At the turn of the century, when Cooley became a contractor, he became very interested in road building, as well.

Read Full Story
Volume 3, Issue 13, Posted 6:49 PM, 06.28.2011

Research your family's history at Bicentennial event

Adding to the festivities of the 4th of July weekend is a Bicentennial event, "Westlake is 200! How old is your family?"  Banners around town proudly proclaim Westlake’s 200-year history and this is an ideal time for everyone to consider their own 200-year (or more!) history. 

Borders at the Promenade will host the free event from 11 a.m.-4 p.m. on Saturday, July 2, and anyone interested in finding ancestors is invited to attend. In addition to Border’s, the event is sponsored by the City of Westlake in partnership with ancestry.com and family historians from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Attendees are encouraged to bring any family documents that contain names, dates and locations – such as birth, death and marriage certificates.

Read Full Story
Volume 3, Issue 13, Posted 6:52 PM, 06.28.2011

Fly the flag

The Westlake Historical Society wants to see your American flag! Do you fly your flag on special designated days? Are you flying your flag today?

As part of Westlake's Bicentennial, the historical society would like for you to send us photos of your American flag. The Fourth of July is right around the corner and we would like to ask you to snap a photo of Old Glory for use in a Clague House Museum display. 

You may send your photograph with your name, address and phone number to The Westlake Historical Society, P.O. Box 45064, Westlake, Ohio 44145, or send them as a jpeg file to westlakehistory@yahoo.com.

November 14 is our city's actual 200th birthday and we request that businesses and residences to fly the flag on that day!

Read Full Story
Volume 3, Issue 13, Posted 6:50 PM, 06.28.2011

Clagues honored for gift to Dover

One of the largest events to be held in Dover was held on December 14, 1926. That evening, the Dover Civic League honored Walter and Sophronia Clague at a public banquet and reception.The event was held at the public high school gymnasium.

The banquet was given to honor the gift of the family farm as a place of recreation and the homestead to be used as a library of Dover history. The park was to be forever known as Clague Memorial Park.

Read Full Story
Volume 3, Issue 13, Posted 6:45 PM, 06.28.2011